Saturday, August 31, 2013

CHEERS!

Happy Weekend, Halloweenies!
It's shopping day, and besides picking up some eye of newt and bar-b-q bat wings.... I just love to peruse the wine section in my local grocery store, and read all the wine labels. Not only are they pretty, but some are so intriguing that I just have to take them home and try them. I guess that the idea, right?

Well, I guess that's what lead to my love of wine....

And you know, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a really good bottle of wine. I admit, there are some very expensive wines, that I really didn't care for. So I decided that if I like it, the price shouldn't be a factor. (And by that, I mean under $20.00)

I have a friend who is quite a wine expert... and will NOT even look at a bottle of wine, if it doesn't cost at least $25.00! (How silly is that?)

So, I try at lease once every week or two, I'll try a new bottle of wine. Some are great, some not so great... but you know, I don't feel so bad if I don't like it.... because I can always use it to cook with! (So it's really a win-win)

But I do get asked a lot, what are some of my favorite wines to serve at dinner parties.... and you know, I always try to have a variety. (Usually 3 or 4 bottles to choose from, for a dinner party) And if they have a macabre twist.... the better! I even have friends who'll bring me wines, they think I might want to try. (How cool is that?)

So in addition to the price, I also "loosely" follow the white wine for chicken and fish.... and red wines for red meat/beef, and pasta rule. I am a firm believer in drink what you want.... if you like it, who cares about the rules!

But red wines seem to be the favorites, and the ones I get asked most about. And like I said, I'm no expert... but here are my top picks for any spooktacular dinner party.... Have a great weekend! Cheers!


 








The Queen of Halloween's Wine Recommendations:
Bone Dry Red
Gnarly Head ~ Old Vine Zin
Dearly Beloved
Seven Deadly Zins